Philip and Mary Elizabeth Wendling built this house. Philip was a butcher, born in Alsace, and the proprietor of a meat market on Main Street, which was destroyed by the 1892 fire.
The basic structure is one that was widely used in the 1880-90 period. The ornamentation has been preserved above the doors and windows and around the front porch. The doors and windows have not been changed, and the roof over the porch is still the original patterned slate.