Augustus was the son of one of Hudson’s early settlers, Elisha Ellsworth. He was in the coal business, foreshadowing the career of his illustrious nephew, the legendary James W. Ellsworth. Augustus Ellsworth began building this house in 1869 and decided to almost double its size even before it was completed. He lived in it until his death in 1892. The diary of John Buss records that a church meeting was held in 1838 to excommunicate eleven persons, including Augustus Ellsworth, “for becoming Perfectionists.”
Valley View Road, “the Ellsworth Road,” once joined North Main Street directly south of this house.