This brick house was built by John Nutting Farrar on land leased from Western Reserve College. Farrar was a manufacturer of and a dealer in all kinds of tin, copper, sheet iron and hardware.
The house is very simply constructed, with decorative molding used only on the cornice of the roof. The present entry replaces a full façade porch. The frame addition to the rear of the brick structure is c. 1854. The second name on the marker honors Harlan and Dorothy Trumbull, who lived in the house for more than 65 years. Dr. Harlan Trumbull was a rubber research chemist who worked for the BFGoodrich Company. His work during World War II was essential to the United States’ war effort and helped the country develop alternative sources for natural rubber.