This church was built in 1865 and designed by Simeon Porter, son of the noted architect-builder Lemuel Porter. Simeon later became a well-known architect in his own right. The design for the Brewster Mansion is also attributed to him.
The building features many Romanesque details: the long, narrow lancet windows flanking the tower, the drip mold window surrounds and the curved surrounds at the entry door, under a segmental arch. A clock was probably planned for the empty circles in the spire.
The original Congregational Church, built in 1820, was located at 27 East Main Street. It was removed from that site in 1878 to make way for Hudson’s Town Hall, which served as the city’s seat of government until l 2013. A 1919 addition to the present church was designed by architect J. W. C. Corbusier. The large addition on the west side is from the 1950s.