Born in Connecticut in 1823, George W. Church arrived in Hudson in 1849. A master carpenter, George received the contract to build the town’s high school in 1866-68, at the corner of Oviatt and Division Streets, later torn down to build an elementary school. He was also the master carpenter that “Victorianized” the Isham-Beebe House on Aurora Street.
In 1878, Church built this late Gothic Revival house opposite the old high school building as his personal residence. In the early 1900s, the roof was raised and a second story added. The front door and the window trim are noteworthy: shelf lintels with brackets can be seen on the first floor windows and label molds are incorporated on the upper story.
Architectural research has uncovered evidence of an earlier structure in the center core of the house.