Orin Porter, son of master builder Lemuel Porter, built this beautifully sited Italianate for Henry Hosford, a professor at Western Reserve College. He later duplicated the design for his own residence at 240 College Street.
A two-story house, c. 1830, was attached to the rear in 1861; the two-story triple bay window was added after 1884. The front porch was added in 1920 and the present slender columns replaced the original Doric columns in the 1970s.
An old metal-roofed barn with cupola has been restored for use as a garage.