On a corner of land carved from Harvey Baldwin’s farm and purchased from him in 1873, Jeremiah and Mary S. King built their fine Italianate house. Mr. King first managed and later owned the dry goods business of his first wife’s uncle, Charles Farrar, at 160 North Main St, in what was to become Saywell’s Drug Store. When King died, this property was bought by Dr. George Leander Starr, son of the extraordinary carpenter/builder Leander Starr, with his wife, Harriet, and his sister, Cordelia. For many years, the house was associated with this gentle and beloved doctor and the two devoted women.
Note the segmental arch window cornices and the arched door surround and elliptical fanlight. A gabled barn, c. 1903, is still used as a garage. Modern additions to the main structure have converted its use to a guest house.