The Hudson Enterprise reported on March 13, 1880:
“J. L. Chapman, who recently purchased the O’Brien farm on South Main Street, has just set out a hundred and thirty choice young maple trees, extending along the entire South Main Street and Ravenna Street frontage – an improvement which will be appreciated by the public. We learn that Mr. Chapman proposes to have the land fronting on Ravenna Street surveyed and divided into building lots, which will be shortly placed upon the market. The plat will be known as “Chapman’s Addition’ to Hudson.”
John L. Chapman was a son of John L. Chapman, a farmer with holdings in northwest Hudson Township. Chapman actually had filed a suit against G. H. O’Brien resulting in a sheriff’s sale of this property. He demolished the old farm house and built this one in its place in 1881. The house has a boxed cornice, a heavy frieze and two long single-pane triple hung windows on the lower front façade, with a center chimney and an entryway on the north-south cross gable.