Originally sited very close to the street, this house was thoroughly renovated in 1925, during the Ellsworth restoration, by architect J.W.C. Corbusier, and moved to the back of the lot. It acquired a new foundation, new windows and new siding and would, at first glance, be hard to recognize as an early house were it not for the roof pitch and interior details.
The staircase is an adaptation of plate 43 of Asher Benjamin’s American Builder’s Companion, first published in 1806.
Land descriptions in early Hudson deeds often use the property lines of the “Widow Stow” as reference points. This is the house of the “Widow Stow.”