The President’s House, Western Reserve Academy, is one of a very few buildings documented as having been designed and built by Colonel Lemuel Porter. This brick Federal-style building, dating from 1829-30, is considered to be one of the most elegant in the Western Reserve. It has served as a double residence for college personnel for more than 150 years.
Noteworthy details are the twin fanlighted entrances in early Bulfinch style and the handsome wood details in the doorways, sidelights, and fanlights. 12/12 windows feature Federal styling with typically thin muntins throughout and wood panels beneath on the first floor. The front façade brick pattern is Flemish bond, the rear and sides are American Bond. Foundation brickwork is covered with sandstone veneer at ground level and then transitions to sandstone further below grade.
Inside, original details include a double staircase with matching banisters and railings, as well as an elegantly carved fireplace mantle.
The President’s House is one of five notable structures in Hudson chosen by the Federal Government to be included in the Historic American Buildings Survey; detailed architectural drawings are kept at the U.S. Library of Congress.