Thurs, Nov 10, 7:30 at Barlow Community Center. Dr. Erik Chaput discusses role of black abolitionists on Ohio’s fight to end slavery.
A Greek Revival design, with delicate Federal moldings, fanlight, and a noted Asher Benjamin door surround, this house was built in 1834 by Owen Brown for his son, Oliver. Like his father and his brother, John, Oliver was a tanner. In 1836, the house was sold to Brown’s fellow Abolitionist, Ephraim Strong. At one time Ephraim’s son, Nathan, carried on his hatter’s business here, and his daughter, Mary, conducted the Hudson Female Seminary on the property.
The foundation is tooled sandstone, with some rough sandstone in the rear; the southeast corner porch is an addition.