Meeting will be back in the Fall. Have a great summer, and be sure follow along with our 1927 Building initiatives.
Elisha M. Ellsworth House
The style of the home is considered Classic Greek Revival. During early construction, the Ellsworths lived in a section of the horse barn, which today is used as a garage. The foundation is large quarry stone, and sand from the basement was used in the original plaster. In 1937, the center chimney was replaced with one at the end of a new large great room and in 1940, the front porch was removed.
For over 80 years, this home remained in the Ellsworth family. Elisha and his wife, Emma, lived there until their deaths. Their daughter, Grace, and her husband, Elmer Forbush, who had farmed the Forbush Farm (Folly Farm) on Middleton Road, lived there until their deaths, and their daughter, Louise, and her husband, Morris Boyd, lived in the home from 1931 to 1961.
The original house was heavily damaged by a fire on June 14, 2020, and a demolition permit issued by the city on July 8, 2020. The current owner plans to salvage the remaining historic details and reconstruct the home.