Thurs, Oct 13, 7:30 at Barlow Community Center. CWRU Scholar John Grabowski traces history of Cleveland neighborhood names.
Eliza Ellsworth House
1889 brought a flurry of construction to the east end of Division Street. Lot 10, a previously undeveloped 1½-acre tract, suddenly sprouted three new houses. Eliza Ellsworth, third wife and then widow of Ransom P. Ellsworth, had inherited the vacant land in 1893. Parcels were sold off for two new houses; Eliza herself built this home, a two-story main core with a 1½-story gabled ell on the west side. The side gabled wing has a shelf entablature at the entry.