Meeting will be back in the Fall. Have a great summer, and be sure follow along with our 1927 Building initiatives.
Ellsworth Hall, located on the grounds of Western Reserve Academy, now serves as a dining hall, dormitory and commons space. Built in 1922 to the specification of James W. Ellsworth and the design of J. W. C. Corbusier, it is Neo-Classical Revival in every sense. The portico is designed with a heavy entablature, decorative trim, Doric columns and a rectangular tracery transom over the double doors. There is a pediment window and balustrade over the portico and the second portico on the north side includes three pillars, an elliptical tracery transom and sidelights. There is a belt course on the first story and a stone course at the roofline.
The building was originally called Cutler Hall. It follows the dictates of James W. Ellsworth that all buildings in Hudson be “colonial,” but violates the terms of the Baldwins’ gift of acreage to Western Reserve College known as College Park that no buildings be erected on the land.