Meeting will be back in the Fall. Have a great summer, and be sure follow along with our 1927 Building initiatives.
This house is one of the better legacies of the economic euphoria of the early 1850s in Hudson, when a group of promoters sold to themselves and the more prosperous of their fellow citizens the dream of a nationally connected railroad system. It was one of the first houses built in Day’s Addition, a real estate development of upscale housing directly east of the village proper. The land was owned by Daniel Gaylord before and during construction, and the McCauley family were long term owners and residents.
The house is an impressive Greek Revival structure with a pedimented front gable, center door with a simple entablature and a Tablet of Moses window in the gable. There are several obvious additions, including the siding.
A most unusual feature of the house is its balloon frame construction, very rare at this early date in this area. It is one of three houses in this block which are identical, except for additions. The others are at 175 Aurora and 183 Aurora.