Thurs, Oct 13, 7:30 at Barlow Community Center. CWRU Scholar John Grabowski traces history of Cleveland neighborhood names.
This stately late Victorian was built in 1879 by Gustave H. Grimm, who was born in Baden, Germany. Mr. Grimm was the founder of the G.H. Grimm Manufacturing Company, also known as the Champion Evaporator works. He is also credited with installing the first gasoline street light in Hudson, at the corner of Aurora and East Main Streets.
The front gabled section is the original house and retains most of its principal character in the multi-gabled roofs and the pedimented lintels at the windows. There have been two additions on the north side, the last quite large, and there also is a rear addition.
Samuel Rideout, a prominent Hudson businessman, bought the house in 1901, and it was occupied by his son, Eugene Rideout, until his death in 1962. Because the Rideout family lived here from 1901 to 1968, the HHA marker carries that family’s name as well. The house has 9 1/2′ ceilings and Michigan pine floors.