We are finalizing plans for an exciting Fall schedule. Stay tuned! In the meantime, visit our Events & News page.
Julia Wells House
This is thought to be the second Julia Wells house, built in 1853 and originally located on Church Street. Ms. Wells live in the house until her death in 1871. In 1871, Charles Buss, a prominent local merchant, purchased house and lived in until the 1880s, when he moved the house to its current location on Division Street in order to build the Queen Ann that can now be seen at that location. Eventually, the house was purchased by Anna and Merrill Mills. Merrill was born in Hudson and owned the Mills Dairy in Hudson from 1938 to 1955. He was the assistant fire chief for Hudson for 25 years and the family lived in the house for 31 years.
The house is New England farmhouse style with some Greek Revival features. It has a plain door cornice with pilasters and a wide frieze board with returns. The windows in the original portion of the second floor are 6-over-6 pine, the doors are two-panel poplar and the floors are original wide-board poplar. A one-piece walnut banister can be found leading from the first to second floor. Later additions can be seen at the rear of the original house.