We are finalizing plans for an exciting Fall schedule. Stay tuned! In the meantime, visit our Events & News page.
The Kirkham-Porter House was built for George Kirkham and his wife Caroline Baldwin, on land purchased from Heman Oviatt. The lot originally extended to College Street.
Margaret Porter, the widow of architect-builder Lemuel Porter, bought the house in 1833, and some early maps and records refer to it as “the Widow Porter Property.”
Subsequent owner William Beebe made many of the renovations visible today.
From 1888-1916, it was owned by the Congregational Church and was used as a parsonage.
The Kirkham-Porter house has a complicated architectural history. It started life as a one and a half story Federal structure with a back wing probably dating from an earlier period. Reference to the home’s construction is made in David Hudson Jr.’s journal, as well as in official records. The roof was raised in 185l by William Beebe. Late Greek and Gothic Revival details were added, replacing many Federal details. In 1872, bay windows and Victorian touches such as barge board were added.
Notable details include the steeply pitched roof, the front door casing, and triple-hung parlor windows. A Tablets of Moses window is located in the attic.