Meeting will be back in the Fall. Have a great summer, and be sure follow along with our 1927 Building initiatives.
The original section of this clapboard house, the present kitchen and loft above, may be one of the oldest structures in Hudson. The land was sold by Owen Brown in 1840 to Isabel Hannah Lindley, an early settler and charter member of the Congregational Church when it was organized in 1802. From early records, it is obvious that she lived in a house at this location long before 1840, and structural details indicate a much earlier construction date for the building.
The property was sold in 1849 to Anson A. Brewster, who added the large, hipped roof front section in 1852.
Many old foundation stones have been unearthed on this property, indicating that there were outbuildings. Owen Brown’s house stood between this house and the house now at 27 Owen Brown Street; some of the stones could be from the foundation of this house, which burned in 1899. The front porch is a later addition, probably from the late 1800s.