Next Meeting: Thurs, Feb 8, 7:30pm at Barlow Community Center. Learn about grassroots effort to save home with strong ties to the Underground Railroad.
Once called Middleton-Forbush Road, the Middleton Family lived west of Darrow Road while the Forbush Family lived east. This was one of the earliest settlements in Hudson Township, probably because of the location close to early mills. The house has a full facade porch with spindle trim, carved window lintels, and ornate decorative detail in the front gable. The attached garage is a later addition.
This was the second house on the 128-acre Homer Oviatt Farm. This Western Reserve land was first speculated by Birdsey Norton, sold to Samuel Oviatt of Trumbull County, who deeded it to his son, John, in 1809. Eighty acres was deeded to Homer in 1826 and Homer continued to add acreage. William Middleton bought the property in 1882 and lived there until his death in 1941. William was born in England and had a milk route to Cleveland before becoming a full-time farmer.