Thurs, Oct 13, 7:30 at Barlow Community Center. CWRU Scholar John Grabowski traces history of Cleveland neighborhood names.
Owen Brown House (Spring Hill)
The house has seen many changes and additions. Typically Greek Revival with some Federal appointments, this style of architecture dominated the pre-railroad era. The gabled shape was used to echo the pediment facade of Greek temples. Federal elements include a front facing box cornice with full pediment and a round bull’s-eye window. There are distinctive outbuildings, a smoke house, brick spring house and garage, all with hipped roofs.
Owen Brown built this home on 264 acres for his second wife, Sally, and the youngest five of his 17 children. Owen was not a farmer, but made his wealth through land ownership, home building and money lending. Spring Hill was probably a station on the Underground Railroad because of the Brown Family’s antislavery beliefs and the large barn and acreage to hide escaped slaves.
In 1919, Clara Knight, wife of C.L. Knight, publisher of the Akron Beacon Journal, bought the property and used the setting for large political cookouts. Their sons, John S. and James, lived in the home while John’s wife was ailing. When they sold the property in 1946 the new owners divided the property.