Meeting will be back in the Fall. Have a great summer, and be sure follow along with our 1927 Building initiatives.
Known as Echo Hill, the gable-end home originally faced the street, but the house was moved back and turned on its lot in the 1930s. The newer basement is made of structural clay tiles. The impressive entryway has a very heavy shelf entablature with four Doric compound pilasters and 10 sidelights framing a wide, plain, six-panel door.
Tax Duplicates indicate the house was enlarged in the late 1840s. The siding may be original, but if replaced, it is in the original design of lapped clapboard. The original slate roof has been replaced but remains gabled, showing a frieze board. The garage may be from a Sears and Roebuck catalog.
This property was once part of the vast Owen Brown holdings. He sold to Lyman Preston who then sold to Elisha Ellsworth in 1933. Herman Peck, a painter and builder, bought the property and then built the house, later selling to Harry Thompson, a successful, wealthy tailor from Ravenna. Harry’s wife, Harriett, was the daughter of Elisha and Elizabeth (Oviatt) Ellsworth. Their grandson, Charles, who inherited the farm, had the first automobile in Hudson. From 1940 to 1960, the home was owned by the Tompkins Family and was on the Hudson Home and Garden tour in 1956.