Meeting will be back in the Fall. Have a great summer, and be sure follow along with our 1927 Building initiatives.
Reuben Smith Farm
Greek Revival elements such as the basic shape and frieze board are typical of the 1840s. The house was extensively remodeled in the 1920s, but the original foundation stones, typical of the Civil War era, remain in the basement. Once facing Ravenna Road, the house is now accessed from Middleton Road. Wooden gutters were removed when the slate roof was replaced by asphalt shingles. There is a turn-of-the-century carriage house at the rear.
As early as 1815, this was the farm and home of Milo Hudson, David Hudson’s son. David deeded it to Milo “as a consideration of natural affection.” Milo sold part of the land and moved his family West. The remaining land was sold at sheriff’s auction to Tertius Wadsworth and Joseph Wells. In 1844, Julius Pond and son-in-law, Rueben Smith, bought the farm, and Pond deeded 65 acres to Smith. The house appears on his 1860 tax duplicate.