Thurs, Feb 9, 7:30 at Barlow Community Center. Speakers to Discuss Past, Present, Future of Ravenna Arsenal at February Meeting.
Strong-Metcalf Female Seminary
This barn, circa 1845, was originally located on the Strong property on the west side of North Main Street and was used as a schoolroom by Alice Strong until 1854. That year, an association of Hudson citizens bought the barn and then moved it to this location in 1858.
Emily Metcalf conducted a school here with a very successful four-year course of study until 1872, when she was succeeded by Miss Hosford. The school was later discontinued for lack of patronage and the barn became the carriage house for the residence directly east.
It was moved west a short distance when it was converted to a residence by Dorothy May in the 1940s.