Next Meeting: Thurs, Jan 11, 7:30pm at Barlow Community Center. Stay tuned for more details.
Titus Hand House
This elegant house on Hudson’s main thoroughfare was built by Owen Brown for his daughter and son-in-law, Marian and Titus Hand. When the Hands sought their fortune in another town, the property was bought by George and Roxa Veader in 1844. Theirs is a story all too familiar in the nineteenth century. In just a few weeks, during the winter of 1849-50, Mr. Veader and his three children died of various illnesses, leaving Mrs. Veader to sell the property to pay debts and move away.
At the turn of the century, this was the home of Cornelius Campbell, a harness maker, whose shop was at 200 North Main Street and who later built the Campbell Block on Main Street.
The addition of commercial windows has obscured the original first story. The sandstone step remains where a central entrance with sidelights and Asher Benjamin details once stood. The second floor and attic are largely original, with scroll medallions at the eaves and a striking fanlight.