An outstanding white clapboard Federal, built by Rufus Nutting, the first professor of languages at Western Reserve College, in 1831.
Notice particularly the entry door, flanked by pilasters and sidelights under an elliptical transom, the entire entryway recessed in an elliptical door surround. This type of entryway is seldom seen in the Western Reserve; there is another one in Oberlin, but it was copied from this.
The details of the door transom are repeated in the elliptical fanlight in the front gable. The windows are 12/12; the foundation is rough sandstone.
A back wing was added in 1860 and a side wing in 1882; both were removed in 1966. An earlier section, older than the main structure, was removed in 1924.
This house remained in the Nutting and Chamberlain families until 1866, when it was deeded to Western Reserve College.
Nutting House is one of five notable structures in Hudson chosen by the Federal Government to be included in the Historic American Buildings Survey; detailed architectural drawings are kept at the U.S. Library of Congress.