This house, built in 1877, is a well-preserved and minimally altered example of Italianate residential architecture popular at that time in Hudson. It has a low pitched hipped roof, wide roof overhang, deep cornices, large eave brackets, two-story left and right bay windows and framed window and door openings all done with elaborate and well-preserved woodwork. (The enclosed porch on the northeast corner is a later addition.)
There is not a great deal that is known about Sebastian Miller, who had the house built and lived in it for 23 years. He was born in 1845, died in 1895, and is buried at Markillie Cemetery as are his wife and son. He owned a shoe and boot business and several buildings on Main Street. The Johnson family owned the house for the longest period of time – 45 years from 1957 to 2002 – when it was purchased for use as an architect’s offices.