This elegant brick Greek Revival, built on spacious grounds in the Day’s Addition development created in the early 1850’s, first appears on the tax duplicate in 1855. The facade is symmetrical, with a typical Greek Revival entry and long, narrow casement windows on the front facade.
Seymour Straight, a very prosperous cheese manufacturer, bought the house after the financial collapse of those behind the Day development. During his ownership, full-length pillars were added to the front facade, and it is probable that the brackets and French windows were added at the same time.
James W. Ellsworth bought the house in 1908, removed the pillars and added the red tile roof.