John B. Whedon’s name is associated with several early nineteenth century Main Street structures. This one, known as Wayside, was built c. 1833. A prominent merchant, Whedon also served as postmaster from 1833 to 1841 and again, from 1845 to 1853. The wing of this Greek Revival house was completed several months before the main structure in order to be pressed into immediate service as the post office. Its split fan, dooryard and largely original exterior make Wayside especially noteworthy. Mrs. E.E. Rogers, daughter of John Whedon, was born here in the 1830s and lived in the house all of her life.