The house was moved to this location from the Brown-Strong House located at 258 North Main Street, also built in 1834. Wide frieze board, small windows under the eaves, entry portico and side porch are 20th century additions.
This was part of the Whedon Estate (Wayside) and Whedon Drugstore. Benjamin Whedon came to Hudson with Owen Brown in 1805. He was a teacher in the town’ first school building, a state representative, a store clerk, Hudson postmaster, and Treasurer of the Board of Managers for Western Reserve College. Before his death in 1833, Benjamin sold the property to John B. Whedon, adopted son from his second marriage to Rosina Rogers. John took over the family business, operating the drugstore until this death in 1862. John Jr. continued to run the drugstore through the 1900 census. He was also a postmaster and sold school books.