John B. Whedon was a prominent businessman in early Hudson, son of the influential and controversial Deacon Benjamin Whedon. J.B. Whedon operated a store farther south at 200 North Main Street until 1841, when he built a new store on this site, next to his house. In the latter nineteenth century, his son carried on the business.
Known as a “drugstore,” contemporary reports indicate that a customer could buy almost any item in the Whedon store – if he could only find it.
The centered window on the lower front facade is an alteration.