Thurs, Nov 10, 7:30 at Barlow Community Center. Dr. Erik Chaput discusses role of black abolitionists on Ohio’s fight to end slavery.
2021 Preservation Award Winners
Hudson Heritage Association’s Preservation Awards winners were announced at the HHA Annual Meeting on Thursday, May 13. To be eligible, properties had to be at least 75 years old and could include private residences, commercial buildings, publicly owned buildings, non-profit organizations and historic landscapes. Restoration must have occurred within the past five years (an exception of one year was made due to COVID-19) and must have maintained the historic integrity of the property.
Three award-winning structures/spaces met the HHA criteria and guidelines, which is based on the US Department of the Interiors Guidelines for Rehabilitation of Historic Structures. Evaluations were conducted by impartial judges, Christie Borkan and Jason Klein, during on-site visits in April.
Congratulations to the three award recipients:
The 1883 Cheese Factory House located at 29 College Street
Allan Sveda renovated this property in 2018-2019. It features many late-19th century design elements, including original poplar floor boards, a wooden mantel and the front door. This small, simple house for factory workers, like others in Hudson, was especially vulnerable. It is unusual to see restoration that is so authentic to the character of the original 19th century neighborhood.
HHA recognized Hudson architect Allan Sveda for over 40 years of contributions to historic preservation in Hudson. Beginning in 1978, Allan completed several renovations of historic commercial buildings including The Evaporator Works, The Brewster Mansion, Hannaford Village Motors and the Sebastian Miller House on Main Street. It was after Allan’s retirement in 1997, when he began purchasing and restoring small historic houses in Hudson. His first historic house restoration project was at 48 Church Street. Between 1997 and 2019, Allan renovated 11 houses in Hudson, allowing him to combine his love of architecture and history.
First Congregational Church of Hudson
The Church received a 2021 Preservation Award for the extensive restoration of the steeple in 2015. Built in 1865 by Simeon Porter, it is commendable that the core of the Porter design remains intact. The recent renovation was designed with copper shingling to imitate the original wooden shingles on the tower. The tower and steeple have looked the same for the past 150 years.
Old School Green
Two former Hudson schools stood on the two-acre site at 34 Oviatt Street, now the home of the Old School Green. The newly created green space serves as an anchor for the adjacent 19th century neighborhood. Natural materials, such as stone, wood, and plants were used to create play equipment and borders. Walkways were created in brick to echo the former red school buildings. The vision for this park originated through the eyes of a local resident committed to protecting the heart of her neighborhood and the result represents a successful collaboration between a generous private citizen, the Hudson City Schools and the City of Hudson.