Our monthly programs will be back in the Fall. Have a great summer, and be sure to follow along with our 1927 Building initiatives.
HHA Recognizes Outstanding Contributions To Historic Preservation in Hudson
As part its commitment to recognize those who have made extraordinary contributions to the preservation of Hudson’s historical buildings, village streetscape and Western Reserve architectural aesthetic, Hudson Heritage Association has named two organizations and one individual to receive its annual Preservation Awards. The awards were presented at the organization’s Annual Members’ Event and Program, held at the Chapel of Western Reserve Academy in May. This year’s recipients include:
Case-Barlow Farm – The Board of Case Barlow Farm received a Hudson Heritage Association Preservation Award for its work to restore “Big Red,” the bank barn that sits as the centerpiece to the Case-Barlow farmstead located on Barlow Road in Hudson. Built in 1890 by the Case family to support a 465-acre dairy operation, the farm, farmhouse, barn and various outbuilding remained in the Case-Barlow family until the property was donated to the First Congregational Church of Hudson in 1996, and then purchased by a non-profit organization established to save and restore the property. In 2017, the group began a plan to transform the barn into a special events venue. The renovation included repairs to the exterior, interior structural improvements, the addition of bathrooms and a catering kitchen, new plumbing and electrical, and installation of tulip poplar flooring throughout the main floor of the building.
Western Reserve Academy – WRA received a Hudson Heritage Association Preservation Award for its work to restore the Academy’s Chapel, built in 1836 by Simeon Porter, one of the region’s most important early architects. The focal point of WRA’s “Brick Row,” the Chapel is the only structure of its style in the Western Reserve to have classrooms on the first floor and a chapel occupying the second and third stories. The project receiving this award was designed to remove some updates to the building and restore other elements reflecting its Federal/Greek Revival origins. Work included removing the pipe organ installed in the 1960s and re-installing Palladian windows on the Chapel’s east side, refurbishing and reinstalling the original pews, replacing the hardwood floor on the main level, removing, refurbishing and reinstalling lighting fixtures, adding ADA accessibility, and removing, refurbishing and reinstalling the 1890s tower clockworks.
Patricia A. Eldredge – Mrs. Eldredge received a Hudson Heritage Association Distinguished Contribution to Historic Preservation Award for more than 50 years of work to support historic preservation and downtown revitalization in Hudson. An active board member of Hudson Heritage Association for many years, she served on Hudson’s Architectural Board of Review for 14 years, was a founding member of the Case-Barlow Board of Trustees, and co-authored the book Square Dealers, which chronicled the businesses and buildings that lined Main Street in Hudson in the 19th Century. She also served as co-chair of the Downtown Improvement District Commission, which spearheaded the development of First and Main. In addition, she served as an early trustee of the Cleveland Restoration Society and sat on the board of the Ohio Historical Society, where she chaired the Physical Structures Committee, overseeing the Society’s 58 historic sites located throughout Ohio.
“It’s only because of the dedicated efforts of organizations and individuals like WRA, Case-Barlow Farm and Pat Eldredge that the Hudson we know today continues to exist,” said Diccon Ong, co-president of Hudson Heritage Association. “Preserving and protecting historic Hudson takes time, money and a huge commitment to saving what is good and different about our community. We hope these awards convey, in small measure, the great debt we owe to those who have made so many sacrifices to make sure our town continues to reflect the Western Reserve architectural ideals on which it was founded.” HHA’s Preservation Awards annually recognize and honor historic structures in Hudson that have been well-preserved or restored within the last five years in a manner that maintains the historic integrity of the property. No minimum or maximum number of awards will be given in any year. To be eligible for the award, properties must be at least 75 years old, and may include private residences, commercial buildings, publicly owned buildings, non-profit organizations and historic landscapes. For more information about nominating a property for the awards, visit https://hudsonheritage.org/events-news/hha-preservation-awards/