Meeting will be back in the Fall. Have a great summer, and be sure follow along with our 1927 Building initiatives.
Hudson Heritage Association Awards Historic Marker to Landfear-Welles House
JoAnn and Mark Vosburgh, current owners of the home located at 5 Baldwin Street, will receive a marker from Hudson Heritage Association at the group’s April 14 general meeting, adding this notable property to the list of those throughout Hudson that have been recognized for their historic and architectural significance.
The April 14 meeting is free and open to the public and begins at 7:30 p.m. at Barlow Community Center.
The home is being named after the Landfears, the first family to build a permanent house on the site in 1852, and the Welles family, which occupied the home for more than 50 years beginning in 1923. Located on land once owned by David Hudson, the property has passed through the hands of several notable Hudson persons and families with names including Case, Whedon, Hines, Baldwin, Gaylord and Hanson.
Property titles, deeds and tax records show the property was purchased from Harvey Whedon and the house was built by Simon Landfear. Although it is not clear Simon lived in the house, a map from 1856 shows a carriage-making shop owned by “Landfear-Farwell” on the property. It is possible there were multiple buildings on the site at this time, since the lot was much larger before being split decades later.
Gillett and Gladys Welles purchased 5 Baldwin Street in 1923 and were active in the Hudson community. Gillett was a longtime Village Councilman. The couple also is credited with bringing the Hudson Pinks dianthus to the attention of the Hudson Garden club early in its history.
The Welles also were the parents of two well-known WRA alumni. Frederick Carder Welles, class of 1927, subsequently graduated from Williams College and served in the Navy, rising to the rank of Lt. Commander. Later, he established a business in San Francisco called Carder Welles Associates Ltd. He was editor of the Reserve Record for two years. Brother Gillett was a member of the class of 1932, and while at WRA was captain of the football team, a six letter man, a founder of the French Club, news editor of the Reserve Record and seriously interested in aviation. After earning his degree from Williams College, he founded the Welles Aircraft Corporation. Later, he founded Welles Supply Company, an industrial supply firm.
Both Welles brothers claimed as their distinguished grandfather Frederick Carder, a renowned designer for Steuben Art Glass, located in Corning, New York. Carder’s glass masterpieces were often selected as official gifts by U.S. presidents.
Hudson Heritage Association established its program to award markers to historic properties in the community in 1973. Having a marker indicates the building has been researched to document its history, notable features of its architecture and details about its ownership and occupants. More information about the requirements for an HHA marker and guidance about conducting the research required can be found at https://hudsonheritage.org/research-history/. Information about the homes that have HHA markers can be found at the “Find a Property” section of the HHA website, where visitors can search by street, property name, age or other categories. Go to https://hudsonheritage.org/find-a-property/ for more details. The reports are also available through the Hudson Library and Historical Society.